Via dei Fori Imperiali is one of the most scenic streets in Rome; opened in 1932 with the name of via dell’Impero, it takes its current name from the monumental remains of the forums of Cesare, Augusto, Nerva della Pace and Traiano that can be admired by walking along it. It connects Piazza Venezia with the Colosseum, which constitutes its visual goal. It is lined with domestic pines, the characteristic “pines of Rome”.
In addition to the Imperial Forums, the street overlooks other famous Roman monuments: the Basilica of Maxentius, the Roman Forum, the Trajan’s Markets, the Militia tower, the House of the Knights of Rhodes and the eastern side of the Vittoriano. Furthermore, the street leads to the basilica of Santi Cosma and Damiano and to the church of San Lorenzo in Miranda, which reuse, respectively, the structures of the temple of the Divine Romulus and of the temple of Antoninus and Faustina. About halfway along the road stands the Tor de ‘Conti.